CAFE ASSOCIATE, South Fork Kitchens
Salary & Benefits: $15 hourly, Gym Access, and Daily Shift Meal
Amagansett Food Institute (AFI) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit membership organization comprised of farmers, food producers, and food consumers on the East End of Long Island. We understand that the well-being of our community and environment is tied to the ways we produce and distribute food. Through this understanding, we support those who cultivate the health of both, as they are the basis of our sustenance. We believe that the work of providing food to the community should be valued, and that this should be reflected in fair prices. Through education, collaboration, and promotion we hope to create an understanding between producers and consumers that upholds our vision. We strive to ensure that consumers enjoy healthy, local food, and that local producers are supported in a thriving regional food system.
AFI operates South Fork Kitchens Café on the Stony Brook Southampton campus. Our menu changes with the seasons, with ingredients sourced from local farms and food producers whenever possible.
The Cafe Associate is responsible for providing exemplary customer service to all café patrons, which include members of the Stony Brook Southampton campus community as well as the general public. The Cafe Associate is responsible for setting up the cafe before it opens each day, completing transactions at the cash register, maintaining a clean & orderly dining area, and closing the cafe at the end of each day. Cafe Associates work with kitchen staff and the AFI administrative team to complete food preparation and ensure adequate inventory for an efficient operation. Specific responsibilities are highlighted below. Other duties will be assigned as necessary.
- Engage with café patrons in a sincere and friendly manner through all points of their café experience, including acknowledging and greeting customers and thanking them for their patronage.
- Answer patrons’ questions about café offerings. Use tact when dealing with guest issues/concerns, respond patiently and with courtesy.
- Maintain a clean and orderly dining area.
- Proactively re-stock refrigerators, shelves, and display areas.
- Set up the café each day (e.g. turn on the lights, brew coffee, etc.)
- Close down the café at the end of each day (e.g. sweep floors, close cash register, etc.)
- Present and serve menu items in accordance with café standards.
- Communicate with kitchen staff to ensure that needed menu items are prepped.
- Assist with food preparation as needed to complete catering and wholesale orders.
- Work with Operations Manager to maintain inventory and control waste.
- Collect payments from customers and make change accurately and efficiently by processing transactions in Square.
- Accurately count the cash register and ensure security of cash payments.
- Clean tables, keep the dining area spotless, take out trash and ensure a clean and sanitary environment.
- Answer the phone according to café standards.
- Ensure adherence to all food and workplace regulations, procedures, and policies.
- Other duties will be assigned as needed.
- Suffolk County Food Manager’s Certificate (may be obtained post-hire)
- Availability to work consistently during 10am - 4pm. Monday - Friday
- Reliable transportation
- Ability to comply with all safety and sanitation guidelines and procedures
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, including moving safely through all areas of the café
- Ability to constantly lift, bend, stretch and stand during the entire shift.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and customer service skills
- Comfortable talking to customers regarding orders, comments, and complaints.
- Compassion, respect, and common courtesy for all people
- Honesty, integrity, and ethical behavior
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Authorized to work in the United States
- Experience in the restaurant industry (preferred)
- A passion for healthy, locally-sourced food (preferred)
To apply, send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.